Friday, April 27, 2012

What We Did This Week

Can you believe it's May next week?!  Part of me is relieved, but part of me is also feeling slightly panicky.  How will I ever get everything accomplished that I need to in the next 24 days?  Before I dwell on what possibly won't get done, here's what did get done this week:

P: Kindergarten-- still working on that cute program, "Mooncake."  Only about a week and a half until performance time!
    1st-- We did a fun little lesson called "Whether the Weather" by Lynn Kleiner.  It not only includes a cooperative group activity with un-pitched percussion instruments, but also gives the kiddos a chance to work with the difference between the words "whether" and "weather".
    2nd--  Ahh!  I had a great last-minute lesson idea hit me for the song "Let's Go Fly a Kite."  It dawned on me about 10 mintues before they showed up for class, so I scrapped what I originally had planned and did this lesson instead.  I can't wait to get it all put together and share it!
    3rd--  Wrapped up our "Peter and the Wolf" unit.  Next week we will begin to explore mariachi!
    4th--  Finished up our "John Kanaka" project with some recorder improvisation.  They kiddos really had fun with this one!
    5th-- Ugh....remember last week when I mentioned I was worried about their blues unit assessments?  My fears were realized.  I think I'm going to have to do a separate post on this one--advice/suggestions will be needed!
    6th--  We finished viewing "The Sound of Music" and are now moving into the group project phase of the unit.  I also want to get all of my stuff put together for these unit lessons and share with you.

R: Kindergarten-- same as P, but their program performance isn't for about 3 more weeks.
     1st-- Finished "Wildlife Symphony" and spent a good chunk of time reviewing classroom procedures.  What is it about this time of year that makes those little stinkers totally throw rules and procedures out the window?!
     2nd--  Finished watching "The Orchestra" and read the book "The Remarkable Farkle McBride" by John Lithgow.  I absolutely LOVE using this book to help introduce the instrument families of the orchestra.
     3rd-- We're continuing our work with absolute pitch.  They read from notation and played on barred instruments the Mozart melody used for "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"/"ABC Song"/"Baa Baa Black Sheep."  They caught on so quickly--I was so proud!  Next week they'll begin composing their own melodies.
    4th-- Same as 4th grade at P.
    5th--  Unfortunately, same results as at P.  Like I said--gonna need a separate post on this one.  :(
    6th-  We're about a day behind my 6th graders at P for "The Sound of Music" unit.  They'll finish viewing the movie on Tuesday and will begin the group project Thursday.

I'll be back soon seeking your wisdom and advice on what to do about my 5th Grade, erm, "blues".  (Uff--bad pun......)  Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment