Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mary Poppins Activity Pack

If your kiddos at school are anything like mine, by the time May rolls around, they've started to check out!  I've spent the last couple of years putting together a "May is Musical Month!" theme in my classroom.  It's important that our students are introduced to the world of musicals, but I don't feel they should just be plopped down in front of a TV for two weeks' worth of music class.  While watching the musical, they should also be involved in standards-based activities.  And especially if you're showing a musical in May, what better time to have "year-in-review" activities that tie into the musical?

That premise brought me to this:  A complete activity pack for "Mary Poppins"!  If you look back at previous posts, you'll see how my whole "Let's Go Fly a Kite" lesson came to be.  I used the inspiration from that lesson to create my "Let's Go Fly a Kite" mini-unit available on Teachers Pay Teachers, and from there the ideas just kept flowing.  The activities in the "Mary Poppins" pack review some of the big concepts we talk about in 2nd grade:  dynamics, mood, basic standard rhythm notation, beats in sets of 3, and basic form (such as AB).



The "Mary Poppins" pack contains new lessons & activities as wells as the lessons & activities found in "Let's Go Fly a Kite".  It's available now in my Teachers Pay Teachers store--enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I've spent the last couple of years putting together a "May is Musical Month!" theme in my classroom. It's important that our students are introduced to the world of musicals, but I don't feel they should just be plopped down in front of a TV for two weeks' worth of music class. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use Mary Poppins for the duration of the month of May, or do you use another movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Mary Poppins only for second grade for the month of May. I only see my kiddos for 60 minutes each week, so by the time we view the musical and complete the activities, just about 3 weeks have gone by. I also use The Sound of Music and Annie with other grade levels.

      Delete